Strolling through the holiday gift section of a specialty grocery store the other day, we came across something kind of amazing: a beautiful 5-pound bar of dark chocolate. In case you’re having trouble picturing how big that is, it’s about 2 feet high and 1 foot wide. Twenty times bigger than the standard 4-ounce bar you’d pick up in a cash register checkout line.
Now that’s a gift for the chocolate lover on your list!
If we want to look at holiday gifts that are good for our feet, a huge chocolate bar probably wouldn’t be our first choice. Podiatrist Kenneth R. Wilhelm, DPM wants to remind you that consuming a lot of sugar can pour on the extra weight that causes problems for our feet – problems like flat arches, plantar fasciitis, and diabetes. But there are many foot friendly gifts to give!
Great gifts for feet
- Scented lotion – a soothing gift especially for someone who’s on their feet all day, like doctors, nurses, teachers, and waiters.
- Spa pedicure – either a gift certificate to a local nail salon (make sure it’s properly licensed) or for a pedicure you give yourself. (Find tips on how to get a great at-home pedicure here on our website.)
- Awesome socks – socks don’t have to be boring as holiday gifts. Make them extraordinary by choosing hi-tech moisture-wicking fabrics or left/right-specific socks that offer padding in just the right places.
- Foot massage – look for a licensed massage therapist who will treat your feet to a deep, relaxing massage.
- Accessories for runners – visit a running shoe store for great ideas like shoelaces that lock in place, reflective gear for early morning runs, hangers designed for race medals, GPS watches, energy gels and bars, gift certificates, and more.
Giving your feet the gift of health is our reason for being here at Clifton Foot & Ankle Center in Centreville, Virginia. We strive all year long to give each patient expert foot and ankle care in a kind, respectful environment. When you have foot or ankle pain or injury, request an appointment or give us a call at (703) 996-3000.