Your feet take a lot of abuse throughout the day, and they are probably very under appreciated. If you choose the right shoes to wear, you can help keep your feet protected from over use and injury. Here are some of the best reasons to wear shoes that actually fit correctly and feel comfortable.
- Bone Alignment – Over time as you continue to wear certain shoes, your feet start to change. This is NOT a good thing if those shoes are too tight, ill-fitting, or high heeled. Shoes that squeeze your feet together or are not properly supporting your arch or ankle can cause injury or deformities.
- Fitness – If you wear shoes that are comfortable you are more able to move freely throughout the day. You can also be more active because your feet aren’t in pain. Even walking becomes much easier since you’re not worried about injuring yourself (or blisters, or aches.)
- Nerves – Wearing shoes that are pressing the wrong parts of your foot can lead to nerve damage. Nerve damage is serious and can lead to a lot of unnecessary pain. If it’s bad enough you may need surgery to fix the issue.
- Corns/Blisters/etc. – When your shoes don’t fit comfortably, your feet can end up painfully rubbing against a hard surface. That friction can cause calluses, blisters, corns, etc. that feel painful until they are removed or disappear.
- Your Walk – Comfortable shoes mean that you move naturally. If your shoes are not comfortable your gait starts to get affected. When your walk is affected your whole body (from your spine, to your back, to your shoulders, and to your neck & head) is affected. If it’s bad enough the aches and pains can become chronic.
Dr. Kenneth R. Wilhelm of Clifton Foot & Ankle Center has been treating patients for over eighteen years. If you have any questions, call our Centreville, VA office at 703-996-3000 or make an appointment here.