Now that the weather is colder, it may be a little more difficult to get your exercise in if you’re used to exercising outside. But don’t worry, there’s many ways you can keep in shape without stepping out of your house! Here are a few ways you can maintain your fitness while the weather is cold.
- Burpees – Start by standing up straight with your arms on your sides. Drop down into a squat until your hands touch the ground (make sure your knees do not pop out over your ankles.) Immediately bounce into a push up position (you can do a push up or if it’s too difficult skip it.) Come back to your squat position and jump as high as you can. You can do these all day long – it works out your muscles while also adding a bit of cardio. Also, if these get too boring, there are many different variations that you can do to make it a bit more fun.
- Stair Master – You don’t need a stair master machine to do stairs. Simply walk/run up the stairs in your home (skip steps and step slowly for a challenge) and walk back down. Don’t rush it – you should feel the burn in your thighs after a little while.
- Jumping Jacks – Remember when you had to do these all the time in elementary school? Well, there was a good reason why – they’re easy to do and they also get your heart pumping. You can do a set every time the commercial break comes on while you’re watching TV!
- Hallway Lunges – Or lunges across any room. Make sure you use proper form and go slowly to get the maximum benefit!
- Dancing – Turn up that music and dance around the house. For an added bonus, you can do it while cleaning and get two things done at the same time. The crazier you dance, the better your workout will be!
Dr. Kenneth R. Wilhelm of Clifton Foot & Ankle Center has been treating patients with foot and ankle ailments for over eighteen years. If you have any questions, call our Centreville, VA office at 703-996-3000 or make an appointment here.