Some people love shoe shopping and have a closet full of shoes. Others only have a pair of sneakers and possibly a pair of dress shoes. Whether you’re a shoe fanatic or not, it’s still important to have the right shoes for the right activity. Here’s a guide to help you decide which shoes are must-haves in your closet!
- Sneakers – If you exercise even moderately, you should have 2 pairs of sneakers. This is so you can change it up between the two and prevent one pair from wearing out too fast. Also, different sneakers serve different purposes. Depending on the design, the sneaker can be better for your ankles, or have added support or cushioning specifically designed for running.
- Dressy Shoes – This shoe is probably only going to be worn once or twice a year, and not for a very long period of time. It’s the shoe you wear for pictures, or weddings, or some other type of important event.
- Comfortable Dress Shoes – These are your every day shoes for going to work whether you work in the city, or drive everywhere. You need at least 2 different pairs so that you don’t wear out your shoes too quickly. Also, having two pairs means you have multiple styles to rely on. (Usually one pair that matches black and one pair that matches blue is standard.) You can of course have many pairs of comfortable dress shoes to match every outfit you have.
- Boots – These boots should be sturdy and supportive and be worn for any heavy duty activities or work that need extra support. They can also double as hiking boots.
- Rain Boots – Rain boots might not seem like a necessity but water can easily damage shoes (not to mention, make them smell) so it’s a good idea to have a pair of rain boots to rely on. If you don’t want boots, you should at least have a pair of waterproof shoes.
- Slippers/Flip Flops/Sandals – Optional. Slippers/flip flops and sandals tend to not have any good support for your feet. If you need them for the beach it’s okay, but it’s not very healthy for your feet or ankles to wear them on a daily basis.
Dr. Kenneth R. Wilhelm of Clifton Foot & Ankle Center has been treating patients for over eighteen years. If you have any questions, you can call our Centreville, VA office at 703-996-3000 or make an appointment here.